Splashdown Books is a HYBRID IMPRINT.
As an approved author with us, you have:
All the creative control of indie publishing;
All the preparation support you need;
A brand to belong to.
Here's how it works:
- You submit your details with a blurb and first 1000 words in our submissions form, below.
- If your writing sample attains the initial quality I require, you will qualify to purchase an editing pass from me (click here to view a price list). This includes everything: line edits, substantive "big-picture" story edits, and proofreading, all as needed.
- I will decide whether your story content matches Splashdown's brand and let you know if you are eligible to continue the process with us.
- After that, you may still choose to self-publish on your own. But if I approve your manuscript and you'd like to have the backing of an established brand as well as the affirmation of belonging to a group of quality authors, I invite you to send your revised version back to me for a second pass.
- I will need to approve your cover and technical design (final PDF print files / ebook files), or you can also hire me to do that for you. If your own version does not meet approval, you undertake to adjust it until it does.
- I'll talk you through setting up the book on your own print and ebook distribution accounts. You get to use the Splashdown logo, appear on my website and in my newsletter, and you'll get a Splashdown ISBN for your print edition. You will keep all the income; although you'll be part of Splashdown, I will have no claim on your royalties. You'll have instant access to your own sales reports and you'll be paid directly by the distributors!
- In return I ask that you take care of ISBN registration and also send a print copy to me. This means you are required to send three paperbacks to two addresses in New Zealand WITHIN 30 DAYS OF PUBLICATION. Please also provide me with file copies of various ebook formats that I can send to reviewers. I ask that you include up to five full-page ads for other Splashdown titles in the back of your print edition, and simpler blurbs with links in your ebook. I will provide this material and insert it for you if needed.
- I'll give you any technical coaching as necessary, and tell you everything I know about marketing.
If money is an issue, I'm willing to talk about bartering for your skills if you can help me in an area I require. There are strict conditions for this option.
Submissions Policy: We publish the books that we love, so read some of our titles to see if your work is similar (You may request a free ebook to review, please use the Contact Form).
Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy, Supernatural/Paranormal, and combinations of these. Both adult (not erotic) and YA.
Good preliminary editing is a must. Do NOT send your first draft. Spellcheck alone is not enough preparation.
Ethnic flavours sought, especially Maori and Pasifika. Experimental forms welcome, such as epic science fiction poetry or genre-mashups.
Team relationships are important at Splashdown, so you may get priority treatment if we know you already from your reviews of our work, interactions on our blogs or FB pages, etc.