Splashdown Standard Design
- Choose your book size from the options offered by your printer.
- In your word processor, change the page size to match the book size.
- Change the margins to 0.4" all round plus an extra 0.3" in the gutter. Activate "Mirror Margins" option.
- Insert a section break before the first actual page of story and unlink the footers (and headers if using).
- Delete any page numbering before the section break and restart the numbering at 1 on the first page of story.
- Set your page number in the centre of the footer and set "Footer from Bottom" to 0.4". You may need to add a blank line above the page number (inside the footer) to give it space from the text.
- Headers: Not recommended as they are distracting and take up a lot of space. If using, make them small and minimal, and set "Header from Top" at 0.4". If no header, set this to 0.
- Deactivate the option "Widow/Orphan Control".
- BODY TEXT: Garamond 12pt fully justified, 0.2 or 0.3" first line indents, 1.15 line spacing, NO extra space above/below paragraphs.
- CHAPTER HEADINGS: Use the same font as the front cover and size it for best visual effect. Place the heading after approx. 10 blank lines (12pt) on a new page. Use the Styles option to define all headings so you can adjust them all quickly as needed.
- SCENE BREAKS: Use some small graphic element from the front cover. Reduce its size using a graphics program so that you do not have to adjust it after insertion in the document. Add a blank line (of any size) before and after if this is visually effective. If the image is to be centred, REMOVE the first line indent so that it is not thrown off-kilter. When you have one scene break, you can copy and paste it together with its blank lines and this will also transfer the indent properties.
- FRONT MATTER:
- Title page
- Copyright page - see our other titles for examples
- Blank or dedication
- Contents page
- (Additional map or blank)
- Blank; Section break
- Story starts. Restart page numbering at 1.
- BACK MATTER: After section break. Unlink footers and remove page numbering in this section.
- Author photo and bio
- Ads for author's other books/mailing list etc.
- Splashdown advertising pages (as provided)
- When complete, check visually for widows/orphans (stray single lines at top and bottom of pages). Fix manually by breaking up preceding paragraphs to create more lines. Also check that blank lines around scene breaks do not occur at tops of pages.