The Absolute Beginner's Guide to Absolutely Everything /
Indie Author's Checklist
From notion to novel; from brainstorm to book. It's a surprising amount of work if you're doing it for the first time, but never fear: with some practice and familiarity, you'll soon be moving through the necessary items like a pro.
Some links lead to external sites; the rest to information here at Splashdown University! More coming soon.
- Write your book. Any book you like. For fiction, you may find it helpful to look into the Snowflake Method.
- Do a thorough self-edit. Then have it edited first by fellow authors and eagle-eyed readers. Then by a professional.
- Make changes as suggested by editors. Don't be too resistant - we only want to help you.
- Have it proofread. One or two others plus yourself is a good number.
- Write an enticing back cover blurb. Get help to make it the best it can be. Make sure you have a good bio too.
- Format the print file according to how you want it to look. Check out our Splashdown Standard Design instructions.
- Have it proofread again.
- Design the cover, or have someone do it for you.
- Insert elements from the cover in the interior, such as the same font and scene break images.
- Very important: Consider your keywords for publishing. Only specific ones can be used. Instructions forthcoming.
- Immediately prior to publishing, save a copy of the file and convert to e-book format.
- Upload your print files to a printer: the cover (usually a single wraparound image including the back and spine) and the interior.
- Upload your e-book files to distributors: the cover (front only) and your converted e-book file.
- As part of 12 & 13, enter your blurb, bio, and keywords into the printer and distributor interfaces.
- DO NOT rush any part of the process. Don't allow any lapse in quality. If you suspect it needs another proofread - do it. Not happy with any aspect of the design? Fix it.
- Approve print proofs.
- HIT GO!
Shameless plug: I offer many of these items as services. Editing, proofing, formatting, cover design, e-book conversion, and more.